West Ham piles misery on QPR

Winner... Matt Jarvis and team-mates celebrate a goal as a dejected QPR player looks on. (Getty)

West Ham has added to Queens Park Rangers' woes in the English Premier League, with a 2-1 win keeping its London rival at the bottom of the ladder.

Sam Allardyce's side moved up to seventh after first half goals from Matt Jarvis and Ricardo Vaz Te put the it firmly in control.

QPR got one back through Adel Taarabt after the break, but the late dismissal of Mali midfielder Samba Diakite killed off the host, which has now lost four and drawn two of its first six matches.

In contrast, West Ham celebrated its third win of the campaign and first on its travels.

There was more good news for the Hammers as England striker Andy Carroll, on loan from Liverpool, returned as a second half substitute to make his first appearance since suffering a hamstring injury on his debut.

"We are a newly promoted team and we have taken the game to QPR and led through two quality finishes," Allardyce said.

"Then we had to show the other side of our character which is good honest hard work and defending."

QPR manager Mark Hughes added: "We were very poor, certainly in the first half where we were second to every ball and didn't get anywhere near to the level we need to be at to get results in the Premier League."

Allardyce's men made a dream start in the third minute when Vaz Te pulled the ball back for Kevin Nolan and the skipper looped a cross towards Jarvis, who was unmarked at the back post and headed home from close-range.

Jarvis was only playing because of an injury to Matt Taylor and his first goal for West Ham since his pre-season move from Wolverhampton was a well-timed reminder to Allardyce of what he can bring to the team.

Mohamed Diame almost doubled West Ham's lead soon after when his long-range effort took a wicked deflection off a defender and flew over QPR goalkeeper Julio Cesar, only to drop just the wrong side of the post.

QPR nearly earned a fortunate equaliser when Esteban Granero's corner was misjudged by West Ham goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, but the ball cannoned to safety off teammate James Collins.

West Ham lost defender Winston Reid in that incident as he was forced to come off after briefly being knocked unconscious when Jasskelainen crashed into him, while just minutes later Allardyce also had to replace Joey O'Brien due to an injury.

But those enforced alterations couldn't disrupt West Ham and the east London outfit increased its lead in the 35th minute.

In the 57th minute, QPR midfielder Taarabt collected the ball wide on the left, cut inside and unleashed a sublime curling strike that gave Jaaskelainen no chance.

The host was only denied an equaliser thanks to Jaaskelainen who brilliantly pushed away Granero's shot and Allardyce responded by sending on Carroll for the final 20 minutes.

But Carroll didn't need to produce any heroics as the match was effectively over in the 75th minute.

Diakite had already been booked by referee Mark Clattenburg when he slid in aggressively on Guy Demel, earning a second yellow card in the process and ended QPR's comeback hopes.

Source AFP