‘Welcome back anytime’ - AGF’s message to stranded Socceroo Amini

Mustafa Amini in action for Australia Source: Getty Images

Stranded Socceroos midfielder Mustafa Amini has been offered the chance to return Denmark and rejoin former club AGF Aarhus, after Turkish Super Lig club Ankaragucu reneged at the 11th hour on their agreement to sign him.

Left in limbo in the coastal Turkish city of Antalya with his partner and five-year-old daughter, Amini, 27, is chasing redress through FIFA after being blindsided by the shredding of the $2 million contract.

Distressed by the turn of events, AGF football director Peter Christiansen said Amini was “welcome back anytime”, confirming either a long or short-term deal could be done to repatriate him to the Danish Superliga.

“Musti made a huge impression here both as a player and a person during his four years at the club, and we care about his football future,” Christiansen told The World Game.

“What’s happened with his transfer to Turkey is very unfortunate - but, as I say, the door is open to him, whether to re-sign for us, or just train while the (European) transfer window is still open (it shuts on October 5).

“He’s welcome back anytime, whether he needs any treatment from our medical team or any other support we can give.”

Ankaragucu claimed they were under a transfer embargo, despite signing a binding agreement with Amini, who remains holed up in an Antalya hotel whilst the PFA fights in his corner with FIFA.

AGF were keen to retain their longest-serving foreign signing prior to his exit earlier this month.

But Amini - a folk hero among the supporter base - wanted a fresh challenge, and opted for Turkey amid rival bids from Germany, England and Saudi Arabia.

He was cast adrift whilst waiting to undergo a medical.

“He has a lot of friends here in Aarhus, and that includes the supporters,” added Christiansen.

“We didn’t want him to leave - but that’s football. The best thing now is to move forward.

“He’s in a difficult situation and we don’t like to see that.

“He’s a footballer - and he wants and needs to be playing; not left in limbo.

“We’re there for him anytime he calls.”

Voicing his anguish, Amini told Newscorp last weekend of his desire to see Ankaragucu held accountable by the world governing body.

“It’s unbelievable. I can’t believe what’s happened. I wouldn’t wish this upon any football player,” Amini said.

“On the fifth of August, we got given a contract and we signed it, emailed it back and accepted the terms and everything was done.

“Ten days later, we get a call saying ‘sorry, the deal’s not there anymore’. When I heard that my heart just stopped.

“They can’t get away with this.

“I hope it goes all the way to the top of FIFA and they do get sanctioned and have to pay out the contract because they’ve literally left me jobless, clubless and homeless.

“To get slapped in the face like that is not right. I’ll be challenging them to go to FIFA because they’ve literally killed me in that way.”

Source SBS The World Game