Roar spoil Victory's Melbourne return


Brisbane Roar have spoiled Melbourne Victory's homecoming party and snared their first points of the A-League season with a feisty 3-1 win at AAMI Park.

Scott McDonald opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before Victory recruit Callum McManaman equalised with a stunning solo effort in the 24th.

But Victory paid the price for static defending when Macaulay Gillesphey headed the excellent Roar in front in the 60th minute, before Dylan Wenzel-Halls iced the win in the 79th.

Victory hadn't played at their home ground since February and in Grant Brebner's first A-League game since taking the reins full-time, they looked a far more aggressive and energetic outfit - with a plethora of new faces.

But despite the home side's lively start in front of a boisterous home crowd, Brisbane drew first blood.

Roar full-back Corey Brown evaded Storm Roux's sliding tackle, kept the ball in and cut it back to Wenzel-Halls, whose floating goal-bound shot was volleyed in by McDonald.

The linesman initially flagged McDonald offside but following a VAR review, the Roar veteran was shown to be kept onside by Victory's Nick Ansell.

Eight minutes later, Brisbane youngster Rahmat Akbari slipped while attempting to receive a pass and McManaman pounced.

The winger took off, beat Brisbane's Riku Danzaki and cut a sizzling left-footed strike into the top corner.

In the 34th minute, Ansell's towering header hit the base of the post - while seven minutes later Victory had appeals for a penalty waved away.

Roar defender Jack Hingert had blocked Jake Brimmer's goal-bound header, with Victory players arguing the ball had hit his arm - but to no avail.

Victory signing Rudy Gestede entered the game in the 56th minute - but it was Brisbane who took the lead minutes later when Gillesphey leapt highest at a corner to head home.

Victory's night was further soured when Marco Rojas - who had pulled up sore in the first half - limped off in the 72nd minute with an apparent hamstring injury.

Seven minutes later, Tom Aldred hoofed the ball out of defence, with Wenzel-Halls running onto it, cutting left around Ansell then back onto his right foot and finishing coolly to secure all three points.

Source AAP