Update: SBS Sport website to
become home
of all our sport
content on 09/08/2021.

Rare Wilkinson goal gives Sydney comeback win over Jets


Captain Alex Wilkinson's first goal for Sydney FC and first A-league score in over a decade has earned his side a come-from-behind 2-1 home win over Newcastle.

Defender Wilkinson's downward bouncing header from an 80th minute Luke Brattan corner beat goalkeeper Jack Duncan and two defenders behind the line.

It was his first goal since August 2013 and the first in the A-League since 2010.

The victory, just Sydney's third in seven home games this season, lifted them four spots to third, while Newcastle remain in 11th place.

The Sky Blues trailed at halftime after a howler from goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne was punished by Luka Prso.

Substitute Milos Ninkovic equalised in the 64th minute and Wilkinson secured Sydney's third win in seven home games this season.

Socceroos representative Redmayne kicked a clearance straight to Prso, who was standing just outside the penalty area.

The 20-year-old midfielder moved forward and clinically curled the ball around Redmayne to score his first A-League goal.

Sydney had nine shots to five in the first half, but had only one on target compared to the Jets' four.

Redmayne made a number of straightforward first-half saves from attempts by Steven Ugarkovic,, Matt Millar and Prso, while Jets keeper Jack Duncan dealt with a Brattan free-kick.

Sydney coach Steve Corica made three substitutions in the 54th minute to galvanise his side.

Bobo and Ninkovic, who started the midweek win over Newcastle, were introduced along with Wood, with Luke Ivanovic, Alexander Baumjohann and Kosta Barbarouses making way.

Little over ten minutes after the drastic overhaul, two of Sydney's replacements combined to punish Newcastle for a turnover.

Wood made a surging run through the middle and passed to Ninkovic, who cut inside and drilled a right-hand shot across the goalkeeper and into the far corner.

The lively Wood then had a shot of his own saved by Duncan and fired wide after Wilkinson put Sydney ahead.

Source AAP