Postecoglou on the defensive over new system

0:00

A fired-up Ange Postecoglou has launched another staunch defence of his much-maligned 3-2-4-1 formation following Tuesday's 2-0 win over the UAE.

The revamped system set-up has drawn a wide spectrum of views since its shock unveiling in last week's 1-1 draw with Iraq.

Most notable are concerns surrounding the robustness of a three-man defence that was worryingly exposed in Tehran.

After its second, more cohesive yet still unconvincing outing in Sydney, Postecoglou was adamant he had no issues with such debates.

"I'm just glad people are talking about systems, it's great," Postecoglou said.

"We don't talk enough about football in this country so, if nothing else, I've initiated some debate."

However, further questions from media elicited a defensive response from the fired-up 51-year-old, who claimed a foreign coach wouldn't be so heavily scrutinised.

"I've sat here for three-and-a-half years and I haven't changed in anything I've said I was going to do," Postecoglou said.

"I expect to be held accountable for what I say and the kind of football we want to play. But it seems I've been held accountable for doing what I said I'd do this week - that's the bit I struggle with.

"Maybe if it was a foreign coach we'd all sit back and say, `what a genius he is, he's coming up with new ways to challenge these guys'.

"But what I've found and what I said from day one is I will not talk down to our players.

"I will not speak to our players as if they're not as good as somebody else just because they're Australian and I certainly am not going to sell short our coaching staff and the way we work."

Tuesday's win was the Socceroos' first qualifying win in five games and more than six months, and means they can still secure an automatic Russia 2018 spot as a top-two finisher in Group B.

Source AAP