For the sixth year in a row the FFA Cup final will be an all A-League affair.
Melbourne City crushed the final NPL team standing in the competition - the Brisbane Strikers - with a 5-1 semi-final victory at Perry Park on Tuesday night.
It means the wait for a team outside the nation's professional tier reaching the decider will go on for at least another 12 months.
While admitting his young team of semi-professional players simply couldn't match their full-time opponents across 90 minutes, Strikers coach Owen Baker is convinced an NPL club will reach the decider soon.
"In reality the NPL clubs shouldn't get there. Football is a great game, these things do happen," Baker said.
"Unfortunately nobody's been able to do the fairytale yet but I think it will happen one day."
The potential of an upset on Tuesday loomed large after Adam Pengelly's 52nd strike in all competitions this season in just the third minute put the Strikers 1-0 up.
City, however, flexed their muscles in a dominant second-half, Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren notching a brace as the visitors ran out comfortable winners.
Baker argued his team had been the architects of their own downfall in some aspects and with a more disciplined performance could have become the first club outside the A-League to reach an FFA Cup decider.
"The goals that we conceded, the first one was a mistake, the second one we could've done better," he said.
"So I look at that and go, on another night we could have done this tonight. I genuinely believe that."
Baker said if A-League clubs come calling for some of his Cup stars, such as the prolific Pengelly and goalkeeper Bon Scott, he won't stand in their way.
"If they get offers in the A-League I'll take them to the airport or drive them because that's what we want to do," he said.
"We want to get players to the A-League, that's our mantra as a club."