Adelaide United have signed Olyroos ace Kristian Sarkies to a new two-year deal while midfielder Fabian Barbiero has also resigned with the A-League club.
And in a further boost to the Reds ahead of Wednesday night's AFC Champions League encounter against Korean champions Pohang Steelers at Hindmarsh Stadium, fellow midfielder Fabian Barbiero will also stay with the club after signing a one-year deal.
“Kristian has got a lot of potential and we believe that we can still squeeze a lot more out him to become the player we think he can be,” Adelaide coach Aurelio Vidmar said of 21-year-old Sarkies.
It has not all been smooth sailing for Sarkies at The Reds, the former Melbourne Victory midfielder struck down with DVT in his shoulder late last year with a risk that he may not play football again.
However, after missing four months of competitive football through recovery, Sarkies has shown no ill effects and has returned more eager to prove he will be a beneficial contributor to Vidmar's squad for the next two seasons.
Former MetroStars ace Barbiero meanwhile has earned a spot in Adelaide's squad after a number of stints as an injury replacement, and Vidmar says he is pleased with the 24-year-old's progress.
“Fabian has been training on and off for quite a while and we've seen him grow as a player in that time,” Vidmar said.
“He's a player that can fit into a number of roles when needed, and that was proof when he entered the Hyundai A-League last season. He is capable of performing at this level.”