Nabbout joins Melbourne City on one-year deal

Andrew Nabbout Source: AAP

Andrew Nabbout has signed for Melbourne City on a one-year deal after his contract with Perth Glory was terminated prior to him even setting foot at the club.

Nabbout played the 2019/20 season with City's local rivals Melbourne Victory in what proved to be a challenging time for the club as they finished 10th and changed coach three times. 

The 27-year-old managed 26 appearances last season, scoring nine goals and producing three assists. 

On September 1, Perth Glory proudly announced that they had signed Nabbout on a two-year deal, however, 23 days later Glory announced that the contract had been mutually terminated "due to the issues surrounding them relocating from Melbourne and in Nabbout’s case, his understandable reluctance to make the move without his family."

Perth Glory's players are also in the middle of a pay dispute with owner Tony Sage, while last season's coach Tony Popovic left the club to pursue an opportunity in Greece. 

Nabbout said he was delighted to join "an ambitious club" in Melbourne City. 

“I’m delighted to be joining Melbourne City for the upcoming season,” Nabbout said. 

“City are an ambitious club who want to achieve the ultimate success and I want to be a part of that environment. The club have set the standard throughout the league with its style of play and I feel with that, I can play a major role for the team moving forward. 

“I’m from Melbourne, my family are in Melbourne and to continue in this city with Melbourne City is special for me.”

City finished runners up last season and new coach Patrick Kisnorbo will be hoping that Nabbout can form a partnership with fellow Socceroo Jamie Maclaren. 

Nabbout is the Club’s fifth signing of the 2020/21 pre-season joining Marco Tilio, Matt Sutton, Taras Gomulka and Aiden O’Neil at Melbourne City for the upcoming season. They will report into CFA Melbourne for the A-League side’s return to training on October 5.

Source SBS The World Game