Socceroos winger Mathew Leckie could be set for a surprise A-League return, with Melbourne City in pole position to land the Bundesliga-based star.
Leckie told beIN Sports earlier this month of his decision to part company with Hertha Berlin at season’s end, adding that rejoining the competition he left a decade ago was a real possibility.
The 30-year-old ex-Adelaide United prodigy turned Socceroos linchpin sees Australia as a safe haven from the coronavirus and perfect for his family, as he moves into the autumn of a hugely successful career.
It’s believed Melbourne Victory and Western United are also suitors, but City are best placed to seal his signature.
The title-chasers are so keen to net Leckie there is even the chance of a contract being agreed prior to the end of the current window on May 10.
That would be dependent on Hertha releasing Leckie from the final months of his three-year deal, and potentially bring him home in time for the A-League finals.
Discussing his options, Leckie said: “I’ve been here (in Germany) 10 years and want something new. I’m sure something will come up.
“What’s most important for me is to be playing games, wherever it is.
“The A-League isn’t something that’s out of the question either, though I’m not saying it will happen.
“There are positives and negatives and I still think there are things I can achieve here in Europe.
“A big factor (regarding the A-League) is there is no coronavirus in Australia and that’s very appealing.
“I just have to see what’s best for me and my family.”
Leckie has amassed just 290 Bundesliga minutes this season, with 12 of his 14 appearances as a substitute.
As Australia’s World Cup qualification campaign nears its restart, he is desperate to get back into regular club action.
Were City to land him - they’d boast a fearsome front three of Leckie, Jamie Maclaren and Andrew Nabbout, all current Socceroos.
Leckie’s agent and Melbourne City were both contacted for comment.