Liverpool beaten in Germany

Decent scalp ... Kaiserslautern's Ilian Micanski (right) celebrates his goal against Liverpool (Getty)

A largely-inexperienced Liverpool reserve side lost 1-0 to Kaiserslautern on a busy day of friendlies for English clubs.

The Serbia forward, brought in on a free transfer from Standard Liege, played the first 45 minutes before he was withdrawn by manager Roy Hodgson.

By that time Liverpool was behind, courtesy of Ilian Micanski's close-range tap-in.

Jovanovic was one of only two members of the squad who had played at the FIFA World Cup, the other being defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos who lasted 77 minutes.

The Greek almost made a perfect return to life in a Liverpool shirt as his second-minute through-ball put David Ngog in on goal but he dragged his shot wide.

Moments later the newly-promoted Bundesliga side replied with Slovakian Adam Nemec having a shot deflected just over.

The 19-year-old Liverpool reserve forward David Amoo then shot straight at Tobias Sippel and Martin Kelly had an effort deflected over from Jovanovic's corner before the host made the breakthrough.

In the 32nd minute Jiri Bilkey beat Daniel Ayala to the ball before crossing for Micanski to extravagantly flick home from six yards.

Croatian Ivo Ilecevic's volley went close five minutes before half-time as Kaiserslautern continued to press.

After the break Kaiserslautern created a couple of opportunities but Hodgson's youthful side - midfielder Lucas Leiva was the most experienced first-teamer - did not concede again.

Despite the defeat the result, and the goalless draw to Grasshoppers in midweek, will have given the Liverpool boss plenty of optimism as he embarks on his competitive Reds career with a Europa League third-round qualifier against FK Rabotnicki without many of his first-team stars.

Aston Villa was beaten 2-1 by League of Ireland side Bohemians at Dalymount Park.

Conor Powell lobbed the ball in after a sliced clearance from keeper Brad Friedel to put the host ahead in the 20h minute.

Gabriel Agbonlahor and Stewart Downing both went close before the break, but it was substitute John Carew who finally levelled midway through the second half.

However, it was the Irishmen - knocked out of the UEFA Champions League qualifiers by Welsh minnow The New Saints - who finished stronger, and won it with 10 minutes left when Paddy Madden sent substitute Enzo clear.

Jermaine Beckford came off the bench to net a brace as Everton won 3-0 at Preston North End.

The striker, who joined on a free transfer from Leeds United, opened the scoring with a fine finish after latching onto a ball up field 11 minutes into the second half.

Louis Saha then put Everton - which has just returned from a trip to Australia - further ahead in the 67th minute.

And Beckford wrapped things up three minutes later with a volley at the far post, but later went off with an ankle problem.

Chris Martin scored twice as Norwich City beat Newcastle United, promoted back to the top flight as Championship winner, 2-1 at Carrow Road.

The Canaries' striker, who netted 23 goals in the League One title campaign last season, put the Norfolk side ahead just before the break.

However, Newcastle made several changes for the second half and was soon level through Shola Ameobi.

Martin, though, won it with a close-range finish on 75 minutes, flicking a header into the far corner.

Bolton Wanderers, which has been away in North America, had to settle for a 1-1 draw with League One side Rochdale at Spotland.

Robbie Blake put the Premier League side ahead from the spot after 35 minutes.

New signing Martin Petrov almost grabbed a second, but Chris O'Grady lashed in an equaliser six minutes from time for Rochdale, which secured its first promotion in 41 years last season.

Birmingham City recorded its third successive win on its tour of China and Hong Kong with a 2-0 win over Liaoning.

Recent signing Nikola Zigic flicked on for Garry O'Connor to score from a narrow angle in the 18th minute and Sebastian Larsson added a second 20 minutes later after lobbing the goalkeeper from Craig Gardner's pass.

Birmingham now returns to England where it will face Derby County at Pride Park next weekend.

Tuncay scored a hat-trick as a virtually full-strength Stoke City coasted to a 6-0 victory at Newcastle Town.

The Turkey international scored all his goals in a 23-minute spell, which started in the 66th minute.

Robert Huth, Ricardo Fuller and Michael Tonge also got on the scoresheet.

Francis Jeffers did his chances of a move to Blackpool no harm with a goal in its 2-1 friendly win over Leyton Orient in Devon.

The former Arsenal and Everton striker, who is on trial with Blackpool following his release by Sheffield Wednesday, opened the scoring after 23 minutes with a neat finish from inside the area.

League One Orient levelled just before the break when veteran frontman Scott McGleish nodded in Dean Cox's cross.

But the Seasiders secured the victory in the final minute when Charlie Adam's free-kick hit the crossbar and Rob Edwards headed in the rebound.

Chesterfield started life at the b2net Stadium with an action-packed 5-4 defeat to Derby.

The Spireites - who moved from Saltergate in the northern summer - raced into a 3-1 lead through Craig Davies, Simon Ford and Mark Allott.

However, the Rams fought back and a brace from Kris Commons was added to by efforts from Chris Porter, John Brayford and trialist Conor Doyle. Derby keeper Stephen Bywater saved a penalty at 3-3.

Leeds United - back in the Championship next season for the first time since 2007 - ran out 5-0 winner at Hartlepool.

Burnley, relegated from the top flight in May, ended its pre-season tour of Singapore with a 1-0 win over a Singapore Selection in the FIS Asian Challenge Cup through a 50th-minute strike from Chris Eagles - who rejected a move to Rangers - at Jalan Besar Stadium

Watford hit two late goals as it came from behind to draw 3-3 at Northampton Town.

New signings Johnny Ertl and Daniel Bogdanovic were on target as Sheffield United beat local rival Rotherham 2-0 at Don Valley Stadium.

Millwall, promoted to the Championship via the play-offs, lost 2-1 at Stevenage, while goals from Freddy Eastwood and Shaun Jeffers gave Coventry City a 2-0 win at Walsall.

Reading came from behind to beat Wycombe through a second-half penalty from Gylfi Sigurdsson and Hal Robson-Kanu's close-range finish.

Adam Hammill hit a first-half hat-trick as Barnsley beat League One Huddersfield 3-1 at Oakwell, while Bristol City went down 3-0 at Aldershot.

Fraizer Campbell scored four times against his former club as Sunderland beat Hull City 4-2 in Portugal.

Campbell, who was a key member of the Tigers team which won promotion to the Premier League in the 2007-2008 season after joining on loan from Manchester United, opened the scoring after 10 minutes and then netted three more before half-time after Craig Fagan had equalised from the penalty spot.

Nick Barmby grabbed a late consolation for Hull.

Wolverhampton Wanderers won 2-1 at Belgian club Charleroi with all three goals coming in the second half.

Substitutes Kevin Doyle and Dave Edwards, who both came on at half-time, netted the Wolves goals after 52 and 83 minutes respectively.