Update: SBS Sport website to
become home
of all our sport
content on 09/08/2021.

Juric fires Reds past Roar in elimination final


A Tomi Juric first-half double has secured Adelaide a 2-1 A-League elimination final win over Brisbane Roar in Redcliffe.

Juric scored twice in four minutes early in Sunday's clash at Moreton Daily Stadium and despite a second-half strike from substitute Alex Parsons for the Roar, the Reds held on to set up a semi-final next Saturday against Sydney FC.

It is Adelaide's first A-League finals victory outside of South Australia and the first time the Roar have been defeated in 11 finals in Queensland.

Ex-Socceroo Juric hadn't scored in his past five matches but ended that drought in the 15th minute when a long pass from Ryan Strain eluded Roar captain Tom Aldred.

Juric controlled the ball on his chest and then fired past Jamie Young to silence the home crowd.

One became two just four minutes later when Juric knocked the ball past a struggling Aldred, playing just his fifth game of the past two months, before sprinting clear from inside his own half and slotting calmly past Young.

Roar coach Warren Moon turned to his bench at half-time, throwing on Jack Hingert and youngster Parsons in a bid to turn the game around.

The changes paid off in the 56th minute when Parsons rose highest to head home a Corey Brown free-kick as the hosts surged back into the match.

The Roar pressed and pressed for an equaliser, with Dylan Wenzel-Halls and Riku Danzaki both having great chances.

The closest they came to levelling however was in the 88th minute when Golgol Mebrahtu's close-range effort was saved by Adelaide goalkeeper James Delianov.

The Reds, who lost winger Craig Goodwin to injury in training on Saturday, will be hopeful the fringe Socceroo is fit when they face back-to-back defending champion Sydney FC at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

Defeat means Brisbane have fallen at the first hurdle in their past three finals campaigns (2018, 2020, 2021).

Source AAP