'It'd be staggering if they turned their back' - PFA urge Fox to stick with A-League

0:00

They've got nothing to show but pay TV broadcaster Foxtel is being urged to stick with football during the coronavirus pandemic.

Tuesday's decision to suspend the A-League until at least April 22 has raised concerns Foxtel will look to exit its agreement with the FFA in a bid to cut costs.

FFA chief executive James Johnson said his organisation was yet to speak to Foxtel about their plans during the league's suspension but if the deal is axed it would leave a $57 million-per-year hole in the game's coffers.

Professional Footballers Association chief executive John Didulica is however optimistic that Foxtel's past commitment to the game would be replicated during the coronavirus pandemic.

"Fox has been a partner of the A-League since its inception ... they've invested significant sums in the sport and it'd be staggering if they turned their back on that investment now, in the current environment," Didulica told AAP.

"Given their massive contribution over time, it seems, for me, obvious they would continue to support the game through this period and then be here at the end of this challenge to, I suppose, welcome the game back with open arms and hopefully to a brighter future beyond."

The FFA's reluctance to halt their season was understood to be largely driven by the determination to provide a product for Foxtel.

The situation has led to the suggestion the broadcaster holds too much sway over organisers and was putting players, staff and fans' health at risk by playing on.

Didulica said it was a simple commercial reality that a host broadcaster would have considerable say in scheduling decisions and he was confident no unnecessary risks had been taken to play games.

"In any professional league around the world the broadcast partner is always the paramount commercial partner of the sport.

"Whatever their position is in any given issue will always carry significant weight."

Source AAP