Update: SBS Sport website to
become home
of all our sport
content on 09/08/2021.

Goodwin strikes again as Adelaide down Newcastle Jets


A second goal in two games for Adelaide's favourite returning son Craig Goodwin has handed the Reds a 2-1 win over Newcastle at Coopers Stadium.

Back with Adelaide on loan after a stint in Saudi Arabia, Goodwin found the net in his first game back, a 3-2 win over Western Sydney Wanderers last weekend, and he was on target again on Friday night to snatch all three points for his side.

Both sides played at a high tempo for large parts of the contest, at the sacrifice of polished play, but there was no compromise when it came to the goals with all three quality finishes.

Adelaide made the perfect start, breaking the deadlock on six minutes when Louis D'Arrigo scored his first A-League goal.

Goodwin and Ryan Strain combined well on the wing and when Newcastle failed to deal with Strain's cross the ball rolled perfectly to D'Arrigo who controlled and picked out the top corner from just inside the area.

Jets' midfielder Steven Ugarkovic almost equalised shortly afterwards with an audacious volley from 25 metres out but to the Reds' relief it rattled to safety off the crossbar.

Newcastle eventually drew level in equally impressive fashion, with Connor O'Toole thundering a shot past James Delianov from outside the area on 22 minutes.

O'Toole played a neat one-two with Angus Thurgate, before unleashing with his left foot, leaving the Reds keeper no chance.

Undeterred, United continued to attack and found themselves lamenting the woodwork when Ben Halloran collected a return pass from Steven Mauk before slamming a 25-metre, left-footed drive against the upright to leave the scores level at the break.

Newcastle nearly eased ahead on the hour when striker Apostolos Stamatelopoulos smacked a header against the bar, and 10 minutes later it was United's turn to hit the woodwork for a second time when Goodwin lashed a free-kick around the wall only to see it bounce off the post.

The 29-year-old former Socceroo did not have to wait long to find the back of the net, though, firing low and hard into the bottom corner past Duncan with 13 minutes remaining.

The result, Adelaide's third straight victory, lifts the Reds to third in the A-League ladder.

Source AAP