Update: SBS Sport website to
become home
of all our sport
content on 09/08/2021.

Fowler era underway as Roar knock Sydney FC out of FFA Cup


Robbie Fowler began his Australian coaching odyssey in perfect fashion as his inexperienced Brisbane Roar side managed an unlikely 2-0 win over A-League champions Sydney FC at Leichhardt Oval on Wednesday.

Goals either side of half-time from Stefan Mauk and Jay O'Shea were enough to lift the Roar into the FFA Cup last-16 at the expense of the big-name Sky Blues.

The former Liverpool striker saw his side turn in a polished and disciplined performance to restrict Sydney's highly-credentialed attack to limited chances.

Sydney striker Adam Le Fondre spurned good openings in either half, while the Roar enjoyed some promising moments in attack and had a strong second-half penalty claim for handball waved away.

Sydney's night went from bad to worse in the second half with influential playmaker Milos Ninkovic limping from the field.

There was no fairy tale for a former National Soccer League champion as Adelaide United overpowered a gritty Melbourne Knights in testing conditions in Melbourne's west.


Teenager Al Hassan Toure sensationally scored within minutes of making his Adelaide debut, and though the Knights were only 2-1 down at half-time, Ben Halloran bagged a double as United dominated the second half for a 5-2 win.

Wellington Phoenix became the latest A-League club to fall to lower league opposition as former NSL side Brisbane Strikers collected a 4-2 penalty shootout win at Perry Park.


Defending a poor cup record, the Phoenix suffered an early blow as Hiroki Omori struck midway through the first half for the Strikers.

Andy Pengelly extended the lead after the interval, but Cameron Devlin and Callum McCowatt pulled the Phoenix level.

Extra-time failed to produce any further goals, leaving the home side to triumph on penalties as the Strikers remained resolute during the spot-kicks to collect one of the club's biggest moments since their 1997 NSL championship win.

Newcastle Jets staged a stunning comeback to eliminate former FFA Cup winners Melbourne Victory with a 3-2 extra-time win.


The Jets seemed dead and buried before John Koutroumbis and Dimi Petratos scored in quick succession to draw the Jets level, after they had trailed 2-0 with 16 minutes remaining.

Local teenage product Pat Langlois then bagged a memorable winner in the 113th-minute with his first senior goal.

The Victory had seemed on their way to a comfortable win after Socceroos forward Andrew Nabbout enjoyed a goalscoring return to Australia following an 18-month stint in Japan.

Nabbout fired home superb strikes in each half, but pointedly refused to celebrate against his former club.

Meanwhile, Western Sydney Wanderers defeated Perth Glory 2-1 as Kwame Yeboah netted with three minutes of extra-time remaining.

A cagey 90 minutes gave way to an action-packed extra-time at Dorrien Gardens in Perth.

Mohamed Adam opened the scoring for the Wanderers only for Tomislav Mrcela to draw the home side level almost immediately.

Yeboah then grabbed the winner from point-blank range despite protestations of a foul on goalkeeper Liam Reddy. 

Full FFA Cup Round of 16 Draw:

Brisbane Roar v Central Coast Mariners

Moreland Zebras v Magpies Crusaders

Adelaide Olympic FC v Hume City

Brisbane Strikers FC v Manly United FC

Marconi Stallions FC v Melbourne City FC

Olympic FC v Adelaide United

Edgeworth Eagles FC v Newcastle Jets

Sydney United 58 FC v Western Sydney Wanderers

Source AAP