Flick explains Bayern contract termination announcement

Hansi Flick Source: Getty Images

Hansi Flick said he made clear his intention to leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season so as not to "fool around" amid growing speculation over his future.

Flick announced following Bayern's 3-2 win over Wolfsburg on Sunday (AEDT) that he has requested the termination of his contract – which runs until 2023 – at the conclusion of the campaign.

The 56-year-old has been strongly tipped to replace Joachim Low as Germany head coach after the rescheduled Euro 2020 but, while admitting the role was an option, denied negotiations had already begun.

Bayern's board responded to Flick's declaration by stating it "disapproves of the unilateral communications issued by Hansi Flick" and that talks would continue after the Bundesliga champions' game with Mainz on April 24.

Flick said on the eve of Bayern's fixture with Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday: "I have a request in advance: I will not say anything today about the discussions about my statements on Saturday and about the opinion of the club.

"I wanted to tell the team personally that I asked the club to terminate my contract in the summer. 

"It was important to me for the players to know because it has already been leaked. It was a spontaneous thing to inform the team. 

"The logical step was then to tell the media what is happening so that I don't have to 'fool around' any further."

Flick, who said the Leverkusen game is going to be too soon for Robert Lewandowski to return from a knee injury, was asked for his thoughts on several players posting images on social media celebrating the club's period of success under the coach.

Since taking over from Niko Kovac, Flick has won six trophies with Bayern – including a Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and Champions League treble last term.

"I am very grateful to the club, I have a great, successful time here. You always have success together, not alone," Flick added.

It was announced on Sunday that 12 teams have signed up to form a breakaway European Super League, with Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham of the Premier League joining up with LaLiga heavyweights Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid along with Serie A trio Juventus, Milan and Inter.

The news has been met with widespread condemnation, while UEFA and Europe's major leagues and ruling bodies have vowed to do all they can to block the competition.

No German clubs have signed up and Flick voiced his disapproval for the plans.

"I can only say that I don't know all the details, but I stand behind the statement made by the club and Borussia Dortmund. I think it would not be good for European football," Flick said.

Source Omnisport