Classy City ease past Jets


Melbourne City turned in a vintage performance, winning their W-League match against Newcastle Jets 3-1 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Two goals in quick succession late in the first half saw the visitors go into the break with a 2-0 lead, with City and Newcastle trading goals in the second period in a high intensity match in very warm conditions.

Kyah Simon and Rhali Dobson both shot wide in the earl stages of the game for Melbourne, while Katie Stengel kept Lydia Williams on alert at the other end, forcing the Matildas keeper into a save from close range.

Shortly after an enforced drinks break due to the warm temperatures, Yukari Kinga eased the ball past Britt Eckerstrom off a Rhali Dobson cross.

Less than five minutes later, Tameka Butt scored again for City, the assist coming from Simon.

Ten minutes after the break, Katie Stengel latched onto a brilliantly placed Emily Van Egmond free kick, volleying home her first goal this season to keep Newcastle in the match.

The celebrations didn't last long however, with Jasmyne Spencer placing a curling shot past Eckerstrom to ensure that City went home with three points.

Caitlin Foord scored a treble to help Sydney FC to return to winning ways with a hefty 5-1 win over Brisbane Roar.

Sydney FC had been on a rare three-match winless run but all that changed on Sunday at Seymour Shaw Park, as the Sky Blues steamrolled their opponents in the second half to inflict a club-record defeat on their old rivals.

Foord netted her maiden international hat-trick last month for the Matildas against Chile, having also scored twice on the opening day of the W-League season.

Converted to a No.9 by Sydney FC coach Ante Juric, she opened the scoring against the Roar on 15 minutes after profiting from a smart Savannah McCaskill pass.

The Roar, however, soon replied in kind with Japanese international Yuki Nagasato completing an equally well-worked move 10 minutes later.

There was goalmouth action aplenty at both ends of the pitch, but the Sky Blues took the match by the scruff of the neck on the hour mark after going ahead through a rare Teresa Polias strike.

Foord netted twice more in the closing stages, and substitute Princess Ibini also made it onto the scoresheet to punctuate a confident Sky Blues' attacking display.

Bottom-placed Western Sydney finally managed to get on the board on Friday thanks to Kylie Ledbrook's equaliser three minutes from fulltime which earned a 2-2 draw against Canberra United.

The Wanderers twice came from behind after Ellie Carpenter opened the scoring, though her goal earned criticism in some quarters after goalkeeper Jada Whyman went down injured just before the strike.

Sam Kerr made it six goals from four outings with her double enough to earn Perth a 2-2 draw against Adelaide United in Thursday's round-six opener.

The W-League's marquee player scored twice in six minutes at the end of the first half, but the visiting Glory, who had Alyssa Mautz sent off for a second caution, couldn't hang on for victory as Veronica Latsko grabbed the equaliser with 11 minutes remaining.

Source AAP