Chelsea have won their appeal against a second FIFA transfer ban at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), allowing the English Premier League club to sign new players in January.
World football's governing body imposed a one-year ban on Chelsea registering new signings for breaking rules protecting youth players. The club already served one half of the FIFA ban when they were unable to register new players in the off-season.
CAS published its verdict on Friday, two weeks after an appeal hearing in Lausanne. The ruling was needed before the January 1 opening of the next European player trading window.
A FIFA investigation ruled the club violated 150 rules protecting minors involving about 70 players. Chelsea also broke rules prohibiting third-party influence on players.
CAS said Chelsea violated rules in a "significantly smaller" number of cases than FIFA said, and that the violations were less serious than previously judged.
CAS has also halved the fine imposed by FIFA, so Chelsea will have to pay only 300,000 Swiss francs ($A442,448).