Charlton holds managerless Blackburn

Held ... Blackburn players celebrate Dickson Etuhu's goal (Getty Images)

Blackburn Rovers' first game of the post-Steve Kean era finished in a 1-1 Championship draw at Charlton Athletic.

Blackburn, under the guidance of assistant manager Eric Black after Kean's dramatic resignation after having travelled to London with the team, took a 16th-minute lead through Dickson Etuhu at The Valley.

But captain Johnnie Jackson got the Addicks back on level terms in the 27th minute - making amends after having seen a penalty saved by former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

A wonder strike from Chris Burke ensured Birmingham City bounced back from the humiliation of last weekend's 5-0 defeat to Barnsley with an away win over leader Brighton & Hove Albion in the late kick-off.

Burke put the Blues ahead on 27 minutes and his side was able to withstand considerable pressure from the host to hold on for the win.

Huddersfield Town squandered the chance to go top of the table as Troy Deeney's late penalty earned Watford a dramatic 3-2 win at the John Smith's Stadium.

Oliver Norwood's brilliant free-kick handed the host, unbeaten in six, the advantage, but Simon Grayson's men was stunned by a second-half fightback from its struggling visitor.

Udinese loanee Fernando Forestieri netted his first goal for the club, Fitz Hall put the Hornets ahead and although substitute Alan Lee levelled, Deeney - making only his second appearance since being released from prison - kept his cool to win it from the spot.

A brace by defender Matthew Connolly helped Cardiff City maintain its 100 per cent home record in the league with a 3-0 victory over Blackpool.

Connolly opened the scoring from close range in the 17th minute and sealed matters by heading home a Craig Bellamy corner after Peter Whittingham's free-kick had made it 2-0.

Emile Sinclair scored a hat-trick as Peterborough United gladly assumed the role of coupon-buster with a surprise victory at Hull City.

With seven straight defeats to its name this campaign, there were few who expected Posh and under-fire manager Darren Ferguson to topple City - a side chasing a seventh straight home league win.

But, thanks to a treble from Sinclair, whose pace and power was too much for Hull to deal with, United upset the form book despite the in-form Jay Simpson's goal for the Tigers.

There was better news for the Tigers' Yorkshire rival Leeds United as El-Hadji Diouf's second-half double helped Neil Warnock's side register its third straight win and back-to-back victories in the league - 3-1 at Bristol City.

Diouf opened the scoring just after the hour and although Albert Adomah equalised, he struck again nine minutes from time as Leeds regained the lead.

Michael Tonge's thunderbolt clinched Leeds a two-goal advantage and though Adomah's corner deflected off Leeds defender Sam Byram in the 90th minute for an own goal, Warnock's men saw out the remaining minute.

Middlesbrough's perfect start at the Riverside came to an end, though, as substitute Lloyd Dyer's last-gasp goal earned Leicester City a deserved 2-1 win.

Nicky Bailey opened the scoring for Boro with a stunning 30-yard drive early in the second half but Jamie Vardy slotted in the equaliser and Dyer's deflected effort won it at the death.

The heat remained on Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell after Stephen Dawson's superb goal salvaged a 1-1 draw for Barnsley at Oakwell.

The Tractor Boys looked to be on the way to a first win in six games after Aaron Cresswell's early free-kick but Dawson thundered in an exquisite 75th-minute volley to secure a deserved point.

Crystal Palace stretched its unbeaten run to five games as Glenn Murray's penalty downed Bolton Wanderers 1-0 at the Reebok Stadium.

Millwall ended its run of three straight defeats as Darius Henderson's last-gasp equaliser secured a 2-2 draw at Burnley.

Millwall had taken the lead through Liam Trotter's curling finish after just three minutes, but the Clarets turned the game on its head thanks to headers from Ben Mee and Charlie Austin.

Bakary Sako's free-kick continued Wolverhampton Wanderers' fine form and extended struggling Sheffield Wednesday's woes with a 1-0 triumph at Molineux.

The Frenchman's winner came in contentious circumstances just before the break, having found the net at the second attempt after being booked for taking an initial wayward effort before the referee's whistle.