Arsenal advance in FA Cup with extra-time victory over Newcastle


Emile Smith Rowe was the hero for Arsenal as they beat Newcastle United 2-0 after extra-time to reach the FA Cup fourth round.

The holders were poor for much of normal time, which looked to be coming to an end with Smith Rowe sent off for a foul on Sean Longstaff.

However, the VAR advised referee Chris Kavanagh to revisit that decision, which was overturned, allowing Smith Rowe to make the most of his reprieve by punishing a wasteful Newcastle side with a 109th-minute goal.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's simple strike added a second and, while there is concern for Arsenal over Gabriel Martinelli, who suffered an ankle injury in the warm-up, Mikel Arteta's men will be thankful to have kept their defence alive following a below-par display.

A near-post effort from Aubameyang that drew a strong save from the returning Martin Dubravka was the best Arsenal could muster in the first half, and the visitors should have taken the lead after the interval.

Andy Carroll was flagged for offside after side-footing wide with the goal at his mercy, but replays showed that call would have been overturned by the VAR had he found the net.

Aubameyang failed to find the finish after being played in behind the Newcastle defence and Dubravka proved equal to a Joe Willock header, before the Gunners were grateful to Bernd Leno for sending the game to extra-time.

The goalkeeper prevented Carroll from converting after teenager Elliot Anderson's effort had been blocked into his path.

Smith Rowe was then shown a straight red card for a challenge on Longstaff, only for that punishment to be downgraded to a yellow.

Dubravka produced a show of extra-time acrobatics to tip over Granit Xhaka's long-range volley but could do nothing to deny Smith Rowe in the second additional period, the midfielder controlling fellow substitute Alexandre Lacazette's header on his chest and firing in a superb finish via the post.

Aubameyang then rounded off a well-worked move to make the game safe, Newcastle left to rue their earlier missed chances.

Source Omnisport