A-League players frustrated by 'deafening' FFA silence, says Oar

0:00

A "deafening silence" from Australian football's hierarchy has left A-League players increasingly frustrated as the competition prepares for another month in hiatus.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) announced on Thursday it remained committed to completing the 2019-20 season "as soon as possible".

Before that can happen however several criteria have to be met including the lifting of travel restrictions between the states.

Any resumption also would require an initial period of training and conditioning for club squads, making it unlikely there will be any on-field action until at least June.

Since the competition was originally halted on March 24, seven A-League clubs have stood down players and staff while the ongoing commitment of host broadcaster Fox Sports looks increasingly vulnerable.

Former Socceroo Tommy Oar is one of those facing another month without pay in the wake of the FFA's announcement.

Oar said players just want to have some access to discussions to have an idea where they stand.

"There's just been so much silence. That's created a lot of anxiety amongst the whole playing group across the league," the Central Coast Mariners winger told AAP.

"When FFA made the announcement just over a month ago that they were going to suspend the league, we haven't actually heard anything since then.

"The silence has kind of been a bit deafening. At least being transparent with what's going on with the process so that everyone can kind of understand what's going on would be a better way forward."

Oar said decisions by clubs such as the Mariners to step players down without any consultation with the players' union was a short-sighted option.

And while he welcomed the FFA's desire to play out the remainder of the season, with over the half the league's players coming off contract on May 31, he was unsure how that could happen.

"There's been no kind of specifics given to what that might look like," Oar said.

FFA officials will meet again next month to discuss the return of the league, with chief executive James Johnson saying a return to training would be the first step to a resumption.

"It is difficult to see that process beginning before the end of May but we will work with all stakeholders to achieve the earliest possible resumption," Johnson said in a statement.

Oar said it was frustrating for players to see other codes such as the NRL offering specific dates to players and fans and not get the same clarity themselves.

Professional Footballers Australia chief executive John Didulica also questioned why other sports were able to broadcast plans and not football.

"All players continue to work diligently on individual programs provided by clubs and note with interest the apparent permission granted to the NRL to recommence training in early May," Didulica said in a statement.

"If this opportunity is afforded the NRL, then there is no reason why it wouldn't apply equally to the A-League.

"This timeline will support the management of heightened player wellbeing challenges and ensure underprepared players are not exposed to undue risk upon their return."

Among the other criteria that have to be met to consider a resumption, governments would have to permit large gatherings again, allowing for squads and staff to congregate.

And governments would also have to allow the staging of games amid social distancing protocols.

The FFA's update also didn't provide any comment the situation with Fox Sports amid fears the pay TV channel is planning to walk out on its $57-million-a-year deal with the federation.

Source AAP