Sydney FC chairman Scott Barlow reaffirmed his desire for international marquee star Alessandro Del Piero to sign on for a second A-League season at the club.
The Juventus great joined the Sky Blues in September in a lucrative deal reportedly worth $1.5 million a season. The contract was for one year with an additional year's option.
Del Piero's arrival was a boon for the Sydney club, but the Italian star last week revealed talks with Sydney about an extension to his deal have stalled.
"We have been talking. We are waiting for what it decides ... they wait for me. Everybody is waiting," Del Piero said.
"We have discussed things. We have a good relationship but at the moment we have to think day by day."Barlow on Tuesday moved to reassure Sydney FC fans the club is working towards securing the player for 2013-2014 and possibly a longer term role.
“We have always viewed Alessandro Del Piero’s time here at Sydney FC as a long-term project and this was reaffirmed at our monthly board meeting early this week," Barlow said.
“We would like for Alessandro to remain at Sydney FC next season and we will also begin talking to him about opportunities beyond 2014.
“There are a number of details yet to be worked through with Alessandro’s management regarding next season and these discussions will take place over the coming weeks.”
Sydney chief executive Tony Pignata, who was instrumental in bringing Del Piero to Australia, confirmed the player wanted to take up the option for 2013-2014.
"We had preliminary discussions a few weeks ago and Ale indicated he was keen to stay," Pignata last week told The Australian.
the focus, as you would understand, has been on finding a new coach
(Crook) left and getting the club back on track.
"Now we have appointed Frank Farina (as coach). It will be a matter for the board to sit down and sort out something in regards to Ale in the next few weeks".
Melbourne Heart has bigger problems than whether star midfielder Harry Kewell will be fit enough to play the Western Sydney Wanderers this weekend.