Roy Hodgson confirmed he would pick John Terry for England's FIFA World Cup qualifying double-header against Moldova and Ukraine, despite the defender's international future remaining in limbo.
Chelsea captain Terry was rested, along with several other senior players, for last week's friendly win over
But Hodgson revealed he would recall the defender - if fit - when he names his squad for the
"As far as I know, I can select him at the moment, and I will be selecting him," Hodgson said.
"I don't really have any comment about the rest of it.
"Time will take it's toll. I just know I can select him."
That may change if Terry's hearing is held in the next week but Hodgson had "no idea" whether any announcement on the case would come before he names his squad on Thursday, adding: "I'll pick him and then we'll wait and see what happens."
Hodgson all but confirmed the other players from England's EURO 2012 squad who were rested against
Rooney could be the only striker in Hodgson's squad guaranteed a regular starting spot for his club now United has signed
"If players don't play regularly, they sometimes make it difficult for the club coach.
"The transfer window has not closed yet. Who knows if those players will still be with the club at the end of the transfer window?
"The bottom line is I shall choose from the players who can do the job.
"If they are not playing for their club team that will be a disadvantage but it won't necessarily preclude them from playing."
Hodgson revealed he had been monitoring Celtic goalkeeper
"He's been followed for a longish period of time," he said.
"He's got a chance in the forthcoming squad, yes, but there's more chance I will stay initially with players who I've worked with recently and know well, and give Forster more chance to look at him in the weeks ahead."
Hodgson agreed to bring forward the naming of his squad from a weekend announcement to one before a round of Premier League fixtures.
That means he could face a number of withdrawals if players pick up injuries.
"I don't know what will happen on Saturday and Sunday and who is going to drop out," he said, revealing he had abandoned the idea of having a standby list after snubs by more than one player ahead of
"I have made that mistake once in the past. The future standby list will be in my head.
"I will know who I want to bring in if anyone goes out.
"Those players will have to be quickly called up on Saturday and Sunday."
Socceroos midfielder Carl Valeri will play Serie A football for the first time after Sassuolo claimed a maiden Serie B title with a 1-0 victory over third place Livorno.