Football Federation Australia (FFA) is looking for a new Director of Referees after it confirmed Mark Shield has quit the job.
The 2002 and 2006 World Cup whistle-blower
is returning to a senior corporate role in Queensland that commences in September.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with FFA," Shield said.
"The education and development of referees in Australia is something that I am very passionate about.
"This was a decision made for my family and my career, however I will never be too far from football."
After beginning his FFA role in Spetember last year, Shield restructured the FFA Referees Department. He implemented a the three year Referees Strategic Plan and introduced the Possibles Probables Candidate Program, which will help regenerate Australia's refereeing stocks.
Shield will assist Head of A-League Damien de Bohun find his replacement as Director of Referees.
"We will work together over the coming weeks to ensure that the right
candidate is selected to continue Mark's excellent work in the referees
department and ensure a smooth transition occurs," De Bohun said.
The Socceroos delivered SBS its highest rating program so far this year with more than 1.5 million Australians tuning in to see them qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup with a 1-0 victory over Iraq on Tuesday night.