• George Calombaris confronting a fan at the A-League grand final and standing outside of the Downing Centre Local Court (inset) (The World Game, AAP)
MasterChef judge George Calombaris has banned himself from all A-League matches for 12 months and has relinquished his No.1 ticket holder status with Melbourne Victory.
Source:
SBS The World Game
8 Sep 2017 - 4:30 PM  UPDATED 8 Sep 2017 - 4:38 PM

The celebrity chef was charged with assault after he was seen in footage shot exclusively by The World Game assaulting a 19-year-old fan in the stands at Allianz Stadium during the A-League grand final in May.

Calombaris fronted the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday where he was due to be sentenced after pleading guilty to the assault last month.

However, magistrate David Price declined to pass sentence instead ordering a pre-sentence report. Calombaris will now be sentenced on October 20.

He faces a maximum penalty of two years' imprisonment or a $5500 fine.

Speaking outside the court Calombairs again apologised for his actions and said he had banned himself from A-League games for a year.

"I stand down as the number one ticket holder of the Melbourne Victory and as a true supporter, what I did was wrong and I need to pay the price," the 38-year-old said.

"On top of that I'm going to give myself a ban for the next 12 months from all A-League games."

He said it was "horrible" to watch the footage of the assault in court.

"I apologised to the gentleman that I approached, I shouldn't have done that. It was wrong. I also apologised to the NSW Police, I'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry, pardon the pun," he said.

"I've also apologised to the football community. I'm a proud lover of sport in general and that kind of behavior is unacceptable."

The magistrate said the assault took place in public and was a "serious crime" and revealed what Calombaris had said to the fan.

"The accused pointed at the victim and said 'you're a big-mouthed man you dodgy c***'," Mr Price said.

"He then punched him in the lower abdomen."

The incident took place at 8:49pm on May 7 after Sydney FC had won the fiery clash against Melbourne Victory 4-2 on penalties.

Calombaris, Melbourne Victory's number one ticket holder, was at the showpiece event with fellow MasterChef judge Matt Preston and chef Shannon Bennett, who also features on the Network Ten reality show.

After what was a heated match Calombaris was seen assaulting a fan in the stands, as reported first by The World Game.

Masterchef madness as Victory fan Calombaris boils over
MasterChef judge George Calombaris was involved in a fracas with a fan at the A-League grand final that ended with the celebrity chef being led away by police.

In the footage Calombaris was first seen chatting to Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop as fans from the stands yelled out to him baiting the chef, who then went over and returned fire.

The TV personality has been under fire this year, also making headlines in April after being found to have underpaid staff to the tune of $2.6 million, with members of the crowd also taunting him about the pay bungle.

Tensions boiled over with Calombaris seen assaultiung a fan, at which point police intervened.

The incident ended with Preston ushering Calombaris away.

In a statement to released after the incident the chef and restaurateur admitted he was not proud of his actions.

“I am really disappointed with what occurred last night, " Calombaris said.

"I regret the way in which I reacted, I am disappointed that I let it get to me, and I sincerely apologise for offending anyone."