• Making a statement ... Ghana's Mubarak Wakaso (left) celebrates his penalty (AAP)
Mubarak Wakaso's penalty was enough to give Ghana a 1-0 victory over Mali in Group B in the African Cup of Nations in Port Elizabeth.
PA Sport

PA Sport
25 Jan 2013 - 8:16 AM  UPDATED 4 Feb 2013 - 5:07 PM

Wakaso scored from the spot in the first half after Emmanuel Agyemang
Badu had been brought down in the area at the Nelson Mandela Bay

However, the midfielder could find himself in trouble with FIFA after
celebrating by pulling his shirt over his head to reveal a T-shirt with
the words 'Allah is Great!'

Wakaso was shown a yellow card for his celebration, ruling him out of Ghana's
final group game, and could face further sanctions as FIFA rules
prohibit players from making religious or political statements during a

In a first half low on clear-cut chances, referee Noumandiez Doue was
the central figure and was faced with a number of big decisions.

The first came after just seven minutes when Ghana
goalkeeper Fatau Dauda handled the ball outside the penalty area as
defender John Boye attempted to shield the ball back to him with Seydou
Keita lurking.

However, the referee produced only a yellow card - much to Keita's
annoyance - and the same player then curled the resulting free-kick
narrowly wide of the post to compound his fury.

Ghana eventually settled and Badu saw his header catch the outside of
the post after he had done well to get on the end of a free-kick from
Wakaso, who had slipped as he played the ball in.

And just four minutes later Ghana took the lead after another major decision for the referee.

Asamoah Gyan attempted to find Badu in the area and he was brought
down by Adama Tamboura, although replays suggested Tamboura had
initially connected with the ball as he slid in.

Doue pointed to the spot and Wakaso calmly stroked the spot-kick
home, even though goalkeeper Mamadou Samassa went the right way.

Mali had beaten Niger in its opening group game but looked short of
ideas and never seriously threatened to get back into the contest in a
poor second half which featured more yellow cards than chances.

Ghana attempted to increase its lead and Gyan shot narrowly wide
before Badu saw a free-kick pushed wide by Samassa, while substitute
Solomon Asante also flashed a shot the wrong side of the post in the
closing stages.