Western Sydney Wanderers defender Michael Beauchamp will use his treatment by Sydney FC as motivation to revive his stalled international career this season.
The 31-year-old centre-back, tipped to captain Wanderers in a trial against NSW State League side Blacktown Spartans on Wednesday night, revealed he found out he had been dumped by the Sky Blues when he read it in the paper.
Now he intends to use the snub to re-capture the form that earned him selection for Australia at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
“I only found out that I was being let go by Sydney after reading it in the papers,” Beauchamp said.
“I was told no decisions would be made until the appointment of a new coach at Sydney FC and then when it came I learned through the media I wasn’t wanted, so that was it.
“I could see it coming. A new contract was never put in front of me and I am happy to be at a new club that I feel will surprise a few people this season.”
"I just feel privileged to have the opportunity now to play under somebody of the calibre of Tony Popovic, who has played at the highest level and was a standout for his country as a centre-back in his playing days.
“I have already learned a lot from him in a short time and I am convinced being under his wing and guidance will make me a better player.
“Poppa is a winner and he wants everybody else to share that hunger. That’s what is going to make the team a success.
“I haven’t had a proper chat with Poppa yet about whether I am in line for the captaincy or not but it would be a real honour if it came my way.
“For me, the arm band shows you are leading the team out but everybody should take responsibility.
“Whether I am captain or not captain I will go out each week and do my best to lift the boys.”
Beauchamp, who is joined in the squad by his former Sydney FC team-mates Mark Bridge and Shannon Cole, insists that the squad is much more than a collection of players released by other clubs.
“Poppa has taken his time in signing players and he’s not just putting together a squad in haste because he needs a team," Beauchamp said. "If that was the case we would already have 23 players.
“There are still players out there who played A-League last season and don’t have contracts. He is picking players he feels will do a job.
“I definitely don’t feel like I am a player left over. I could have waited a bit longer and something could have popped up from Asia.”
Beauchamp can’t wait for the third round derby against the Sky Blues but insists that he has nothing to prove and will not target his old club in a quest for personal vindication.
“For me, it doesn’t matter who I am playing I just go out with the same frame of mind every game," he said. "Sydney left things the way they wanted to with me and that’s football.
“There will be a huge build-up and I look forward to that. Every game and every team will be big for us because we are the new kids on the block.
"Teams will go hard against us but I can assure everybody that we are going to be competitive. We are not in the league to make the numbers up."
Meanwhile, Wanderers is poised to confirm the signings of ex-Newcastle Jets utility Adam D'Apuzzo and South Melbourne midfielder Jason Trifiro with Croatian striker Dino Kreisinger tipped to be the club's first foreign signing.
The 30-year-old has played exclusively in Croatia's top flight since his debut in professional debut in 2001 and will join Wanderers from Prva HNL side HNK Cibalia.
Central Coast Mariners saviour Mike Charlesworth says the A-League champion needs to stop playing the underdog card and embrace the mantle of being “the best” in the land.