Costa Rica international Carlos Hernandez confirmed that his time at Melbourne Victory is over via social media before the club made his exit official.
The out-of-contract Costa Rica international revealed, that he was dumped via an email by Victory managing director Richard Wilson, in a Facebook note to Victory fans on Wednesday afternoon.
"I want to thank all the Melbourne Victory fans for all your continuing support," Hernandez wrote from Costa Rica.
"I know the club has not informed you that I won't be continuing with them.
"I received an email from Richard Wilson, so I want to thank you with all my heart.
"I love you. You'll be in my heart forever. Thanks you Australia and especially Melbourne for opening your doors to me.
"Farewell from your great friend, Carlos Hernandez."
Hernandez, who won the A-League Premiership/Championship double in 2008-2009 and was voted the best player in the A-League in 2009-2010, leaves Melbourne after 36 goals in 121 appearances in five years.
Last Wednesday afternoon Victory confirmed Hernandez would not be returning for another A-League campaign.
"The club has spent considerable time negotiating with Carlos, but ultimately it was unable to agree to terms," a club statement read.
Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou explained Hernandez's departure.
"The club engaged in discussions with Carlos, but couldn’t reach agreement and will now move in a different direction," Postecoglou said.
"This provides some clarity for us to seek out and secure key players with our remaining visa spots."
Earlier in the day, Postecoglou said he wanted to free up salary cap space to start the rebuilding at the club, with the reported $350,000 a season 30-year-old Hernandez is seeking viewed as too much for a player with a questionable work rate and fitness.
"It looks like it's becoming increasingly difficult to fit him in," Postecoglou said. "From my point of view, I need to change things here.
"I want to play a different style of football and when you look at Carlos, he's out of contract.
"With the salary cap, I just think we need a little bit more to manoeuvre with. This is my opportunity to change things around. It's going to be very hard to fit Carlos in there."
Renowned for his long-range goals, Hernandez had been linked with a possible move to Adelaide United, though his salary demands would suggest a move overseas is more likely.
But the news is brighter for Harry Kewell, who is understood to be close to agreeing to a new deal to stay at Victory.
After re-organising the club's football department, Postecoglou is keen to nail down his foreign signings first, earmarking a central defender and defensive midfielder as priorities to strengthen the squad.
The size of Kewell's pay packet is also set to determine the level of Victory's spending on new players.
"We found in Brisbane if you get the right foreigners in the mix, you can certainly make a difference," Postecoglou said.
"Our first couple of signings will be foreigners.
"That's where I want to spend the cash first. Then we'll see what we have for Australian players."
Victory has released out-of-contract veterans Ante Covic and Grant Brebner.
But Postecoglou said their release was not necessarily a comment on the players, more about creating the freedom to bring in the right new talent.
"When you're restricted by salary caps, if you want to make changes, you have to make decisions and release people," Postecoglou said.
"It's my opportunity to stamp my authority on the club, and my style on the club. And that releases some spots where I can bring some people in."
Goalkeeper Mat Ryan, defender Pedj Bojic and midfielder Oliver Bozanic look to have played their last games for Central Coast Mariners as the A-League champion faces a raft of departures.